Saturday, July 30, 2016

Nebraska Football and the Big Red N

I couldn't imagine making a quilt about Nebraska and not including something about Big Red football.


At the same time, I didn't want this quilt to be about football, because our beloved Nebraska is so much more.

I thought long and hard about how to honor football on Scarlet Sampler.

I considered creating a bouquet of flowers. Then the leaves could double as footballs, since some leaves are actually shaped like footballs.

I wondered if I could stylize the big red N, and make it look like lightning or flower petals. I conjured up several other equally weird possibilities.




In the end I settled on paper piecing a stylish red N I designed myself in Electric Quilt. It's very small, just 4" x 4", so you have to really look for it. I challenge you to find it!

I'm pleased with this addition to Scarlet Sampler. We've honored football and its place in the culture of our state, and we've maintained the quilt's traditional beauty. I think you'd call that a touchdown!

No comments:

Post a Comment